So much has been written about TfL’s controversial Streetspace schemes and low traffic neighbourhood schemes (LTNs), or discussed at meetings, it’s easy to lose track of important articles, surveys, consultations, research findings and petitions. This compendium will be added to as and when to create a useful resource for Chiswick residents and businesses.
Hounslow Council motions, debates, call-ins
- 10th November 2020: No confidence motion in Hounslow council leader Cllr Steve Curran: Borough Council meeting (discussion starts around two hours and 10 minutes after the start of the meeting)
- 17th November 2020: Chiswick Area Forum discussion on Streetspace (discussion starts at around 50 minutes after the start of the meeting).
- 30th November 2020: Call in by Hounslow council’s overview and scrutiny committee of cabinet decision on phase 3 LTNs.
- Against the closure of Fishers Lane and Turnham Green Terrace in Chiswick to cars: 9,561 at 19th February 2021: change.org
- Consult on South Chiswick Traffic Measures: 2,805 on 19th February 2021: change.org
- To reverse all changes made to Chiswick streets since April 2020 : 4,319 signatures on 10th November 2020 (closed on 10th November 2020 to coincide with the motion of no confidence in council leader Cllr Steve Curran; the fastest growing and largest ever petition to LBH): Hounslow petition site
- Stop CS9: 5,452 signatures in total of which 2,200 were added online (closed on 3rd September 2019 to coincide with the cabinet meeting at which CS9 was to be debated; it was approved, ignoring public opinion; the largest ever petition presented to LBH): Hounslow petition site
- Reject TfL’s proposal to build a segregated two-way cycle super-highway (CS9) along Chiswick High Road (CHR): 457 (closed 30th January 2018): Hounslow petition site
Research and surveys
- Chiswick Town Centre future: Commonplace survey analysis Commonplace Survey Chiswick Town Centre 8th November 2020
- Disability discrimination: Transport for All survey Pave the Way
- Bishopsgate High Court judgement: Justice Lang’s judgement including the comment, “I do not consider that the Defendants have a real prospect of success on appeal, for the reasons I have set out in my judgement. Nor is there some other compelling reason why the appeal should be heard”. Chiltern Law acted on behalf of the claimants and produced a summary of the case, “TfL – Every journey matters (unless you are a taxi)“.
- Croydon: 12th February 2021 directions meeting to determine if there is a case for judicial review.
- Ealing: 12th February 2021 directions meeting to determine if there is a case for judicial review.
- Hackney: 12th February 2021 directions meeting to determine if there is a case for judicial review. Not allowed due to a technicality.
- Hounslow: 12th February 2021 directions meeting to determine if there is a case for judicial review. Allowed and the judicial review hearing will be held on 16th or 17th June.
- Lambeth: 12th February 2021 directions meeting to determine if there is a case for judicial review.
Schemes that have been cancelled or postponed
- Camden (Gower Street, Tottenham Court Road)
- Westminster (Oxford Street)
- Windsor and Maidenhead (two LTNs in West Windsor)
Schemes that have been downsized/modified
- Sutton (barriers removed at all LTNs) (all schemes to be removed and consultation to be done in spring)
Schemes that have been removed
- Brighton & Hove (Brighton seafront)
- Camden (Haverstock Hill)
- Cheshire East
- Kensington & Chelsea: Kensington High Street
- North East Lincolnshire
- Sutton (town centre cycle paths)
- Swindon (Commercial Road and Station Road)
- Trafford (Greater Manchester CA)
- Wandsworth (Tooting LTNs)
- Welwyn in Grant Shapps’ constituency (High street)
- West Sussex (Chichester, Crawley, East Grinstead, Horsham, Shoreham, Worthing)
LTNS to come in Chiswick and Hounslow in Streetspace Phase 3
- Approved by Hounslow Council’s cabinet on 20th October 2020: cabinet policy paper CEX496; map of LTNs; details of phase 3 schemes; details of phase 2 schemes; background to the transport network.
Media coverage: 2021
- Green road closure signs removed after motorists baffled: The Telegraph 30th January 2021
- Disabled people left angry and ignored by council road closures, report finds: The Telegraph 30th January 2021
- High Court ruling is a boost to grassroots groups: The Telegraph 23rd January 2021
- London goes to WAR with Sadiq’s ‘illegal’ road schemes: Residents in five boroughs take fight to High Court over LTNs: Daily Mail 22nd January 2021
- High Court ruling London mayor took advantage of pandemic: The Telegraph 20th January 2021
- Road closures lower teacher morale and affect the quality of education: The Telegraph 23rd January 2021
- Croydon Council undemocratic by forcing through LTNs: The Telegraph 9th January 2021
- One in four councils have scrapped or reduced ‘green roads’ schemes: The Telegraph 5th January
- Bollards everywhere prevent police from using shortcuts: The Telegraph 2nd January 2021
Media coverage: 2020
- Shortage of cameras forces councils to use bollards blocking emergency services: The Telegraph 19th December 2020
- Councils accused of breaking pollution laws to enforce road closures: The Telegraph 12th December 2020
- Bitter battle over LTNs gets even nastier on social media: The Telegraph 5th December 2020
- Pollution rose in Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, analysis shows: The Telegraph 5th December 2020
- Map of schemes to be reduced or scrapped: The Telegraph 5th December 2020
- Cyclists shun roads designed to be bike friendly: The Telegraph 29th November 2020
- Disabled grandmother notched up £3,000 of fines driving through LTN: The Telegraph 28th November 2020
- Lambeth Council budgets for ‘temporary’ closures for three years: The Telegraph 22nd November 2020
- Disabled woman hits out at road closures ‘experiment’: The Telegraph 22nd `November 2020
- Police scour social media to spot green road closures: The Telegraph 14th November 2020
- Thanks Your Majesty!: Julia Langdon guest blog for The Chiswick Calendar 9th November 2020
- High streets will die if green roads revolution will ban cars, Marcus Langlands Pearse: The Telegraph 31st October 2020
- Transport Secretary admits new cycle lanes and leaving road backed up with traffic: The Telegraph 17th October 2020
- Councils claim millions from Shapps’ green fund while running diesel and petrol fleets: The Telegraph 17th October 2020
- Grant Shapps’ green roads revolution used by councils to as ‘cash cow’ as borough issues £500k of fines in one street: The Telegraph 10th October 2020
- Businessman seeks JR after council removes parking bay and builds cycle lane: The Telegraph 3rd October 2020
- Eco friendly dog walking business cannot use electric van due to green transport revolution: The Telegraph 3rd October 2020
- Green roads protestors will stand candidates in local elections: The Telegraph 19th September 2020
- Green roads protest as ambulance concerns grow: The Telegraph 12th September 2020
- Negative red signs replaced in low-traffic road schemes: The Telegraph 12th September 2020
- Grant Shapps tells councils to stop abusing £250m fund meant for green transport: The Telegraph 5th September 2020
- Blind people struggling post-lockdown as streets have been transformed: The Telegraph 5th September 2020
- Anger over green road closures threatens to boil over with return to school traffic: The Telegraph 30th August 2020
- Green roads slow down access for emergency vehicles, London Fire Brigade warns: The Telegraph 29th August 2020
- Paramedics fear the green transport revolution could delay emergency responses: The Telegraph 16th August 2020
- Green roads revolution ‘adding to pollution and risk of childhood asthma’: The Telegraph 9th August 2020
- Disabled people being ‘banished’ from towns across Britain as part of Government green roads policy: The Telegraph 1st August 2020
- Funeral corteges getting lost after new one-way system designed to help social distancing forces detour via dual carriageway: The Telegraph 1st August 2020
- Grant Shapps intervenes after his green traffic policy creates ‘ghost town’ in his own constituency: The Telegraph 25th July 2020
- Campaigners prepare to sue in revolt against narrowing roads for ‘cycling revolution’: The Telegraph 18th July 2020
- Will the pandemic produce a London cycling ‘golden age’?: Dave Hill 29th June 2020
Related media coverage: 2019
Only a third of Chiswick residents backed CS9: TfL suppressed data which showed lack of local support for cycle superhighway: chiswickw4.com 3rd February 2019